Here are the resources and issues we discussed during the August meeting:
Microsoft Word Technical Issue
How to make sure Track Changes isn’t still turned on before sending a document?
Simplest solution – final review of all docs before sending and make sure it’s not turned on, in other words, be responsible for each document you create and/or send by actually looking at them before sending them outside of your organization.
Someone mentioned there is a way to configure Word to do this before saving (sending?) a doc (Note from editor: I can’t find anything like this, please email me if you know how this works and I’ll post it)
Free Apps to Convert Documents to PDF Format
Social Networks – What Are They Good For?
- Flickr – http://www.flickr.com, for photo albums and sharing; free account but limited # of photos and bandwidth; has nonprofit pricing if upgrade to pay monthly/professional account
- Facebook – http://www.facebook.com, general social networking community; not too many nonprofits doing this one to date
- MySpace – http://www.myspace.com, general social networking community; this one has caught on faster with nonprofits due to the high volume of potential Gen Y constituents on it
- YouTube.com – http://www.youtube.com, for sharing of videos; free account but also has nonprofit account available; group wondering why anyone would want that vs. the free account – read more about benefits at http://www.youtube.com/nonprofits.
- Outsidein.com – http://outside.in/Pittsburgh_PA, nobody in the group had heard of this one (except Rose, who was the person asking about it); appears to be neighborhood-based social networking
- Wetpaint.com – http://www.wetpaint.com/, another one nobody (but Rose) had heard of; appears to be a place to get free Wiki space
- Osasynch – http://www.vaita.com/index.asp, for sharing and synchronizing Outlook information across a network
- Red Square Systems – http://www.redsquaresystems.com, local vendor with reputation for good customer service and response times
- Proofpoint – http://www.proofpoint.com/, email security, archiving on demand, and data loss prevention services vendor
SAVE THE DATE – TechNow 2008 Conference – Thursday, October 30, 2008
- Look for updates (coming very soon) on speakers and breakout session for our upcoming TechNow conference: http://technow2008.wordpress.com
Our next meeting is September 3 at Rodef Shalom in Shadyside. If anyone has any topic suggestions or any issues you’d like to discuss at the meeting, please email them to me at email@example.com. The meeting is, as usual, from 8 am – 9:30 am.