Here are the resources and issues we discussed during the September meeting:
Can One Still Purchase Windows XP?
Yes, but need to move quickly. Dell is selling “downgrade” licensing for $20 per PC.
It was noted that most accounting software will not run on Vista, so to think carefully before deciding to upgrade to it and research your org’s accounting package.
Building an Intranet
Client Information System Databases
- Harmony Information Systems – http://www.harmonyis.com/ (HIPAA compliant, clinical database)
- EventBrite.com – http://www.eventbrite.com/ (online event registration and ticketing)
- Amcon – http://www.amcomofficesystems.com/ (specialists in Fixed Cost Printing, can bill individual departments for copier and print jobs; does printer analytics to improve efficiency and cut costs)
VOLUNTEERS WANTED – 2008 Tech Day of Caring
- The Bayer Center and the United Way of Allegheny County are seeking technical volunteers (professional, accidental, nonprofit, forprofit) for the 2008 Technology Day of Caring on Friday, September 19 from 8:30 am – 4 pm. If you (or someone you know) is interested, you may view the list of projects and/or sign up online at http://www.unitedwaypittsburgh.org/EkFormTDOC.aspx?id=4432.
SAVE THE DATE – TechNow 2008 Conference – Thursday, October 30, 2008
- Look for updates on speakers and breakout session for our upcoming TechNow conference: http://technow2008.wordpress.com. Online registration for the conference should be available by Monday, September 8, 2008. Look for a registration link on the TechNow site or go to http://www.rmu.edu/bcnm.
- Our next meeting is October 1 at Achieva on the South Side. If anyone has any topic suggestions or any issues you’d like to discuss at the meeting, please email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. The meeting is, as usual, from 8 am – 9:30 am.