On Thursday, September 4, we held the kickoff meeting for our newest group: Bagels & Bytes – Downtown. Hooray!
We discussed preferences for meeting start/end times and format and will continue to poll participants that come to upcoming meetings of this group.
One thing that was agreed upon by all participants – we will organize this meeting loosely around a topic each month. A topic will help break the ice and get everyone engaged – where the conversation goes from there is up to the attendees.
There is no Downtown group meeting in October (the majority of Bayer Center staff will be at a conference on the day we would have the meeting, which means nobody will be at the office to unlock, setup, and get food – sorry!!), however, we will reconvene on Thursday, November 6. The discussion topic for November will be Web 2.0/Social Networking.
Here are the resources and issues we discussed during the September meeting:
Symantec – http://www.symantec.com/business/products/categories.jsp (note that there are a variety of messaging protection products from which to choose)
Proofpoint Protection Server – http://www.proofpoint.com/
Postini – http://www.postini.com/
Office 2007 – New Capabilities
- Good demo available here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101679471033.aspx
- Norman Alan – http://www.normanalan.com/index.htm – computer consulting company based in Greensburg
VOLUNTEERS WANTED – 2008 Tech Day of Caring
- The Bayer Center and the United Way of Allegheny County are seeking technical volunteers (professional, accidental, nonprofit, forprofit) for the 2008 Technology Day of Caring on Friday, September 19 from 8:30 am – 4 pm. If you (or someone you know) is interested, you may view the list of projects and/or sign up online at http://www.unitedwaypittsburgh.org/EkFormTDOC.aspx?id=4432.
SAVE THE DATE – TechNow 2008 Conference – Thursday, October 30, 2008
- Look for updates on speakers and breakout session for our upcoming TechNow conference: http://technow2008.wordpress.com. Online registration for the conference should be available by Monday, September 8, 2008. Look for a registration link on the TechNow site or go to http://www.rmu.edu/bcnm.
- Our next meeting is November 6 at the Bayer Center office in the Regional Enterprise Tower, 425 Sixth Avenue, Suite 2610, downtown Pittsburgh. The meeting is, as usual, from 8 am – 9:30 am.