Once again, we met at the Bayer Center office in the Regional Enterprise Tower in downtown Pittsburgh. Here are the wealth of resources that were discussed during our meeting:
- Malware Bytes – free anti-malware program
- Super Anti-spyware – free anti-spyware program
- Sophos AV – very good anti-virus software
- Avira AV – free anti-virus software
- Netbooks – mini laptops w/enough functionality to get online
- Kindle Reader – proprietary book and news reader for Amazon.com downloads
- Sony Book Reader – nonproprietary book and news reader
- Book: “What Would Google Do?”
- JARTE – free alternative word processor w/simple interface and ability to save in Word format
- PrimoPDF – free PDF converter similar to Acrobat
- Zoho – web-based office apps suite
- Revo Uninstaller – does cleaner uninstalls, allows you to delete registry entries during uninstall at your discretion
Many thanks to Norm Mast of Lutheran Service Society (who has more freeware in his brain’s memory cells than is probably healthy for any one person 🙂 for many of the items on this list!
ONE LAST THING…
The Allegheny group came up with the idea of having our December holiday party B&B meeting at a fun place – ROBOWORLD! All B&B groups will be invited to this session. I will be working with Joe McLaughlin, who worked on the exhibit there, to see about making this happen!
Our next meeting will be held at the Bayer Center’s downtown office, on October 8. Please note that we are now holding our meeting from 8:30 – 10 am each month.