We met this month at ACHIEVA on the South Side. We will be at this location for the rest of 2009.
We discussed Microsoft SharePoint quite a bit during the meeting. We determined that:
- It is a good tool for an Intranet.
- It must be well-planned out before implementation.
- It is ideal for sharing files and forms across an organization.
- You can use it to replace paper newsletters (internal only, obviously)
- It can be connected to Exchange server.
Here are the various other resources discussed during this month’s meeting:
- Dim Dim – free web conferencing for up to 20 people – http://www.dimdim.com/
- IP Chicken – tells you your IP address – http://www.ipchicken.com/
- Office 2010 – coming soon, God help us all – http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/
- Schneider Downs – has an off-the-shelf board portal software package – http://www.schneiderdowns.com/
- Business Library – has a tech login and discounted online trainings, including certifications – http://www.bizlibrary.com/
- SpeakEasy – for clocking your Internet connection speed – http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Our next meeting will be held at ACHIEVA on the South Side, on November 4. Please note that we are now holding our meeting from 8:30 – 10 am each month.