Our March meeting was held once again at Amani International Coffee House on the North Side. Note that the pic to the right is from last month, but…and correct me if I’m wrong…I believe that Katie, Norm, and Rose all sat in the exact same positions (different table) this month too. How interesting and random!
Here are the various resources discussed during this month’s meeting:
Upgrading to Office 2007 and/or Windows 7
- Microsoft Office compatibility pack for Windows users
- Microsoft Office compatibility pack for MAC users
- Windows 7 advice: make sure your printers, scanners, and other peripherals are compatible before upgrading. Microsoft has a Windows 7 Update Advisor tool on its website.
- Alternatives to MS Office include OpenOffice, StarOffice, Google Docs.
- Purchase MS and Adobe products cheap on TechSoup.
Other resources mentioned during our meeting
- CutePDF, which converts documents to PDF format. The pay version supposedly will allow you to edit PDFs if it was originally created with form fields on it. (Doesn’t work with Acrobat 9.0 format for some reason.)
- Fundraising Software packages: Giftworks, DonorPro, Raiser’s Edge.
- Here is a link to an online matrix of fundraising/online donation packages.
- Content management systems (open source): Joomla, Drupal, Plone, WordPress, Weebly.com.
- Second Life: virtual world – TechSoup has a “Nonprofit Commons” on it and they have a Second Life user group that meets weekly.
- The Foundation Center has published the 2010 version of its Grants for Information Technology Directory, available in digital format for $39.95.
Our next meeting will be held at UCP/CLASS in Oakland, on April 7, 2010. Please note that we are now holding our meeting from 8:30 – 10 am each month.