This was our last meeting for this year at Rodef Shalom in Shadyside. (Off to ACHIEVA in the South Side for October through December.)
Here are the topics, resources, and links discussed during our September meeting:
- Where to have the B&B Holiday party in December?
- The group agreed that touring the server room at one of the local casinos would be fun and interesting. Several members are going to work some contacts and see if we can get in there.
- Our second choice is Dave & Buster’s, but we agreed that we don’t want to eat there (will go to a restaurant nearby for lunch).
- How to dispose of older tech equipment?
- Try to sell back to vendor or manufacturer if an option.
- There are companies out there who will eBay equipment for you.
- Construction Junction does electronics recycling, will even pick up for a $250 freight fee (better to have a large load for this service).
- DBAN is good for wiping your hard drives prior to recycling.
- Hosted data centers
- Bandwidth issues
- Good bandwidth is really important if using VoIP.
- Seems to be a general need for increasing overall organizational bandwidth as of late (more remote users, memory-heavy apps, etc.).
- If shopping around for a different provider, a broker can sometimes get you better deals. (M. Hines mentioned ConnecTel as an example – contact person there is Scott McKinney – can also do a telecom “audit” for your agency.)
I hope to see you all at ACHIEVA on October 6! Don’t forget to register for TechNow 2010 if you’ve not already done so!! Oh, and the breakout sessions and presenter information are now available online: http://technow2010.wordpress.com.