Our August meeting took place in Jewish Residential Services’ lovely meeting room at Rodef Shalom in Shadyside. A big thanks to Paula and JRS staff for hosting us! Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, September 7 at the same location from 8:30-10 a.m. Visit the 2011 Bagels & Bytes Meeting Calendar for more information.
We had a great turnout! Topics and resources from the meeting include:
- DonorPro (noted: get an actual person on phone in support calls, smooth data conversion process, integrates with Constant Contact and OpenOffice)
- Raiser’s Edge (noted: pricey, but cost can be brought down if you need a large # of licenses)
- Landslide CRM (noted: Johna L. provided contact info – Jami Strangio, Senior Sales Advisor, Landslide Technologies, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 781-325-4880 x1012, cell 617-543-1550)
- Idealware.org has report on low-cost donor management software available for download
Data Record Retention
- How long to keep?
- On employees, 7 years by law
- On donors, generally kept forever
- There’s a balance to be struck between being too strict about data entered and too loose – the goal is good, but clean data.
- How to keep enough file space and backup space?
- Nose around, look at files, give notice to staff, delete.
- Keep adding space, not ideal?
- Can get external hard drives.
- Set space limits (file space and email accounts).
- Need to do more tech training/education with staff. Behavioral issue.
- Address with policy?
- Photo storage – cloud? Flickr?
- MosyPro – online backups.
- Network area storage – cloud, getting cheaper, easier to manage.
Upgrading to Windows 7
- Need to upgrade RAM first.
- Driver issues here and there, but not as many as when Win7 was first released.
Post-meeting, Michelle H. shared the following free webinar from Idealware on August 30:
“Ask the Expert: Low Cost Donor Management Tools
In partnership with Idealware, we recently published a detailed report comparing 29 different low cost donor management systems. The report provides an overview of what donor management systems do, recommendations for systems based on particular needs, comparison charts, and an index that provides summaries of all 29 systems.
This month’s Ask the Expert will offer members the chance to discuss and ask questions about selecting the right low cost donor database to the report’s authors: Andrea Berry and Jay Leslie. Moderating the Q&A discussion will be Robert Weiner, an expert on helping nonprofit organizations navigate the sea of donor databases. Join the live discussion on August 30th at 11 am PST/2 pm EST. Register today, it’s free!”