On June 13, we had our annual summer outing, Bagels & Bytes on a Boat! The perfect weather and great bunch of attendees made for a fun and informative event! Check out this great-looking bunch:
Notes/discussion from the meeting:
- Social media strategy and management
- You have to “hook” people with the story.
- Having a consistent voice is a big challenge.
- Have to figure out social media goals first and foremost.
- Some orgs have the community in place and have to figure out the story, while others have the story down pat but must work to engage the community.
- How much time to spend? Who will do it? (Who can/will appropriately represent the voice of the organization?)
- Sometimes there’s a fear of the message getting out of hand.
- Monitoring helps – if you make time to do it. It can be dangerous if you don’t watch social media messaging constantly.
- Social media can be reaffirming for your dedicated supporters.
- People want to connect with people, not brands or orgs. (Article “New Research: Americans Hate Social Media Promotions“)
- How do you make it personal enough? (Goes back to the idea of storytelling.)
- What’s the ROI? Need for measuring this.
- Staff wasting time on social media is a HR/performance issue to be addressed with policy and education.
- Facebook search can be more effective than Google search – includes extended and more personalized search results.
- Book (was door prize): “101 Social Media Tactics for Nonprofits: A Field Guide“
- We are load shifting our messaging from one type to another.
- How to best manage email load?
- Everyone has to make a decision on how you want to be communicated with and “train” others to that style
Reminder: we have no July B&B meeting. Our next meeting will be Wednesday, August 1, at Rodef Shalom in Shadyside from 8:30-10 am. See you there!