This month was our final meeting at Jewish Residential Services’ office in Rodef Shalom, Shadyside. Once again, we are grateful to Paula Pagnotta and JRS for hosting! Next month (Oct. 3, same time as usual) we will be at ACHIEVA on Bingham Street in the South Side.
Resources and Notes from our September Meeting
- Discussed Michelle’s SharePoint class that she’s teaching at the Bayer Center the morning of Oct. 30. (See our online catalog for details if you are interested.)
- Talked about TechNow (Oct. 25)
- Board portals – can create a simple one using WordPress’s private pages function
- Dreamhost has free WordPress hosting for nonprofits
- Windows 2012 server available now
- Windows 8 coming soon – supposedly the day after TechNow (Oct. 26)
- IE vs. Firefox vs. Chrome?
- Depends on applications you are running at org
- Introducing different browsers means supporting different browsers
- Don’t always see an error message…sometimes just blank screen
- Rose having monthly staff tech tips meeting.
- Tries to do a few tips each month that everyone relates to.
- Very quick less than half hour
- YouTube is a good source for tech tutorials
- Idea – Searching for the text of the error message
- Idea – Summer searching videos released by google…was a class
- Idea – Alt+f for finding specific words on a page, for example
- Dual monitors are slowly becoming more popular…can increase productivity
- Fundraising database question – what else is out there besides Sage?
- For mass emails, Vertical Response offers a nonprofit account with 10K free emails per month. MailChimp also has a free plan. (Both similar to Constant Contact, but generally less expensive.)
Finally, Deb Cherry sent this resource after the meeting – “This might be useful resource for folks looking into mobile deployments and/or BYOD. Especially the iPhone Configurator Utility (iPad too).”
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/ Thanks, Deb!