We had our November meetup at ACHIEVA once again. A big thank you to Steve, Nicole and Dave for hosting us this month!
Our next meeting will the Bagels & Bytes Holiday Party at Dave & Buster’s on Friday, December 11 from 1-4 pm.
Here are the notes and resources from this month’s meetup:
HRIS (Human Resources Information Systems) Selection
Client Information Systems / Case Management
- Salesforce (there’s a local SF user group starting soon).
- Scrubbing data – going between systems – is never easy.
- Excel is frequently the “Switzerland” between two databases.
- almost have to limit current database rights to read-only access (no entry into old system) until the new system is available.
- Flipping over the a new system during a slow period is frequently easier.
Google Apps for Nonprofits user group
IRS Open Comments Period re: Forcing NPOs to Collect SS# from Donors
- Read a news article about this.
- If this is established, NPOs would be required to collect social security numbers for donors who donate over $250.
- This will affect information systems – will be a challenge getting that to work.
- It’s also likely to affect donations – donors may be wary of giving that information to nonprofits.
- It’s also likely to make nonprofits more of a hacking target.
- Answer the call for open comments.
- Cloud vs. in-house server.
- The Internet speeds you have (up and down) make a difference in cloud-based server .performance across the network; it also depends on what you are transmitting (typical size docs or transactional data vs. large photo and video files).
- Symmetrical up/down speeds can improve performance.
- The group would like to see Google Fiber come to Pittsburgh soon.