We had a great meetup at ACHIEVA earlier this month! Thank you to Nicole and the staff there for hosting us!
Our next meeting is in the same location on Wednesday, November 1, 8:30 – 10 am. Be sure to also mark your calendar for the December B&B Holiday
Party Meetup at Dave & Busters on Friday, December 8 from 1 – 4 pm. Lunch meeting, followed by a Techie White Elephant gift exchange, then some gaming, including our annual skee-ball contest!
Here are the notes and resources from this month:
When IT is kept out of the loop
- Sometimes tech staff are deliberately or inadvertently kept out of the loop on IT-related decisions (example: when HR staff choose a Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and don’t involve tech staff)
- One theory is that IT represents a large expense in an organization and not involving tech staff keeps costs down.
- Another theory is it simply boils down to organizational politics.
Why should passwords be changed frequently?
- Is every 90 days too often?
- The network admins in our group don’t think so.
- Financial auditors will actually recommend changing passwords more frequently, such as every 60 days.
Can you over-customize a database?
- Ask yourself, is the database overly complex because it needs to be or is it because business processes are overly complicated and affecting workflows in the database accordingly.
- An interesting exercise – think about what CRM you would go with if yours blew up tomorrow and was permanently un-usable.
- Fractured systems are the worst thing of all to deal with.
Software resources mentioned
- Paycom – newer company doing HRIS/payroll software.
- Mass email tools:
- Vertical Response – good nonprofit rates (first 10K emails per month are free) but gets blacklisted a lot.
- Constant Contact – costs more per month, but does have nonprofit pricing. Get a discount for paying for the whole year in advance. Doesn’t get blacklisted as often. Integrates with Salesforce, including the new Lightning interface.
- MailChimp – good and not too expensive. Doesn’t get blacklisted as often. Does not integrate well with Salesforce Lightning interface.
- Emma – possibly most costly of all, but also has the most features for marketing and fundraising included.
- Google Groups – not necessarily a mass email tool, but can do group messaging with it.
- Click Dimensions – works with MS Dynamics CRM in particular.