We held our annual Holiday Meetup at Dave & Buster’s on Friday, December 15. There are no notes from the meeting – we simply chatted and networked freeform this month. Below are some pics from our annual ski-ball contest for your enjoyment!
There is no meetup in January. Our next meetup will be Wednesday, Feb. 7 at Grow Pittsburgh from 8:30 – 10 am. Join our group on Meetup.com to easily RSVP and receive meeting reminders.
Happy holidays to all! See you in 2018!!
We had a great time at our Bagels & Bytes Holiday Party last Friday! Thank you to everyone who came out for the meeting/party. We chose to keep the meeting over lunch informal and to leave note-taking for another time. Therefore, photos are the only content available from this particular meeting.
Please note, there is no January meeting for the Allegheny group. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 1 from 8:30 – 10 am at Grow Pittsburgh. Happy holidays!!
We thought posing in front of the Star Trek machine would be fun and geekily appropriate!
Our annual ski-ball competition! First round winner (Katie) received an NTEN shirt.
The second round winner was Katie again (who declined the prize), so Nicole and Joe faced off for a copy of “The Shallows” by Nicholas Carr (which Joe won).
We had a great time at Dave & Buster’s, eating, networking and talking tech! In addition to our “techie white elephant” gift exchange, we had a virtual bowling tournament, the winner of which received a copy of the book “Managing Technology to Meet Your Mission: A Strategic Guide for Nonprofit Leaders.” Congratulations to Johna Lingelbach from Allegheny Conference, who won with a score of 160!
Nonprofit techies always have a great time when they get together!
Deb’s trying hard for a strike!
Kristi’s looking for a strike too!
Deb and Cindy earn tickets playing a game where you fling aliens onto the sun.
Having fun bowling!
It’s hard than it looks – and gives your arms a workout!
Joe has an intense look on his face as he tries for a strike – look at the blur of motion from his hands moving so fast!
This month we met for the final time this year (holiday party notwithstanding), once again at ACHIEVA on the South Side. Thank you to Steve, Dave, and their staff for hosting us!
Here are the resources and links from the meeting:
- Tech culture discussion – what are our “ideals” for the tech culture at our nonprofits?
- Having management and leadership that “get it,” realize the critical nature of IT, and validate that fact to other staff through their words and actions. (We must continue to educate upper management that IT is a tool that can be used to help improve the agency.)
- Technology is not an “afterthought” but is deliberately included in all planning endeavors.
- Policies and procedures include IT.
- Communication flows (how the information is transmitted to tech) are deliberate and concrete.
- Tech staff (or accidental techies) have respect and credibility within the organization, something that is influenced partially by upper management.
- Unhappy end users are dealt with so as to keep a positive and stable tech culture.
- Technology management is proactive rather than reactive.
- There is knowledge of the cost of IT, including direct and indirect costs.
- Post-meeting, Johna from Allegheny Conference shared some info on SharePoint:
- Dave from ACHIEVA emailed a few links:
B&B HOLIDAY PARTY
Friday, December 3 from 1 – 4 p.m.
We will meet in the lobby of Dave & Buster’s in the Waterfront at 1 p.m., then take a group vote on where to have lunch, likely either at Dave & Buster’s or at the Rock Bottom Restaurant across the street. After lunch, we’ll do a “tech” white elephant gift exchange, then go have some fun at Dave & Buster’s! (The official invite will come out in the next week or so via email, so keep an eye out for that and remember to RSVP.)
Get 2010 and 2011 B&B meeting info and location/directions here.