We had perfect weather for our summer outing, Bagels & Bytes on a Boat! A big thank you to RiverQuest and to the riverboat staff who made this meeting possible!
Note that B&B-Allegheny goes on hiatus for July and will return the first Wednesday of August at the usual time. We’ll be meeting at Rodef Shalom in Shadyside.
Here are the notes from the meeting:
Generational Differences and Tech
- The younger generation knows tech, the older generation knows business need.
- Both generations can learn from each other.
- Doesn’t work well with Windows XP.
- QuickBooks support, however, is really good. They will help you with workarounds if needed.
Local Tech Vendors
Other Tech Vendors / Websites
- If your org is mostly or wholly cloud-based, you need excellent Internet speed.
- The cloud isn’t for everyone. You have to be okay with being heavily reliant on your Internet connection and on the third party software or hardware providers.
- Important to find reliable cloud-provider companies.
Funding the Cloud
- Capital vs. operating expense
- Tech-wise, nonprofits aren’t much difference from small businesses. Where they differ the most is that businesses tend to be better about having a tech plan and about budgeting for tech.
- More difficult to get grant funding for operating expenses like cloud hardware or software. Foundations tend to look at those expenditures as the cost of doing business.
Other Topics and Ideas
- BoardBookit – board collaboration and management software (cloud-based)
- Tech Committees are a good practice for all orgs. It’s important to put together a diverse group of people across organizational functions and with varied skill sets.
- Office 365 – the migration is reported to be pretty smooth. Cost is ~$4.50 per user per month and can be purchased at TechSoup. Rollouts go best when staff is prepped in advance and provided with training post-migration.
- Lantek – provides informational sessions on Office 365 periodically.
- Re-Use Technology Collaborative
- Office 2013 – slight difference in menus (saving files, etc.)
- There is an MS SharePoint group that meets monthly in the Microsoft building on the North Shore.