This month we held our “summer outing” meetup at Animal Rescue League, in the East End of Pittsburgh. Thank you so much to Dan Rossi and the ARL staff for hosting our meeting as well as giving us a fun and informative tour of their facility at the end of the meeting!
Here are the notes from the meeting (which are not as thorough as usual, because I was holding a kitten during most of the meeting):
We will have no meeting in July and will resume our regular monthly meetups on Wednesday, August 5, at Jewish Residential Services in Shadyside. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
This was our final month at UCP/CLASS in Regent Square! Once again, thank you to Michelle Hines and the UCP/CLASS staff for permitting us to use their space.
NOTE: There is no *regular* B&B meeting in June. Instead we have Bagels & Bytes on a Boat, our “summer outing,” on June 13. As in the past, we will hold our meeting on RiverQuest’s boat Explorer. Get more information and find out how to RSVP here.
Resources and Notes from our May Meeting
- Sharepoint (general discussion)
- Makes document “versioning” easier
- Saves file space and allows for better document management
- Can start with the free edition and add capacity gradually or later
- If you have a lot of docs, you should probably install Sharepoint on its own server
- Windows 7 search is not as compatible with these files
- Helps to decrease duplicate saved files across a network
- Physical relocation of an organization’s office
- Import to pull in tech and other departments
- Planning for tech is crucial from early on
- Case Management software
- Remote PC access
- Getting tech support from large companies
- Best time to call seems to be ~ 10 a.m. EST
- Seems like one is less likely to be sent to off-shore representatives at this time of morning
- Payroll solutions
The 2012 Bagels & Bytes Meeting Calendar is here.
In Febuary, we were graciously hosted again by the Frick Art & Historical Center in Point Breeze. Thank you to Linda, Chris and the Frick staff for hosting us! Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, March 7 at the same location from 8:30-10 a.m. Visit the 2011 Bagels & Bytes Meeting Calendar for more information.
Topics and resources from the meeting include: