This month, we met in the spacious conference room at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. Our thanks to George, Luke and the CMP staff for hosting us and providing food and beverages!
Here are the meeting notes for this month:
- PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance was discussed at length. One attendee described their organization’s experience with following the steps to become compliant. PCIstandards.org was listed as a good resource for information.
- Migrating database to the cloud was discussed. Pros and cons of moving to cloud were brought up. People also shared their experience with using SalesForce CRM. Also, Veeam for virtual server backup.
- PC life cycles and depreciation were discussed. Some groups shared thoughts on using warranty as guideline for equipment lifespan.
- Squaretrade.com was mentioned as a good resource for buying equipment.
- Keeping Wi-Fi secure. Managing access points.
- Migrating to Office 365 including the pros and cons of having cloud based email.
- Other suggestions included:
- Using www.yournerdybestfriend.com blog.
- Asana for free project management software.
- W3.org and wix.com were mentioned as good resources for web development basics.
- Fing Android app for network analyzing in regards to wireless networks.